Capture it the way you see it
Designed for professional performance and ease of use, the FDR-AX700 captures every subject with the realism of 4K HDR (HLG) video, thanks to Fast Hybrid AF and other pro-class capabilities.
Record exactly what you see as you like it
Capture life just as you see it in true-to-life 4K HDR (HLG) images with the 1.0–type stacked Exmor RS CMOS image sensor. The unrivalled performance of Fast Hybrid AF ensures that autofocus and AF tracking are exceptionally precise, responsive, and reliable, so you’ll have every chance to take fantastic shots of fleeting action. With such professional-caliber capabilities so conveniently at your command, there are no limits to how far this Handycam can take your shooting ambitions.
Fast Hybrid AF
High-performance AF stays focused even on fast-moving subjects.
4K HDR (HLG)
Next-generation imaging for more detail, brightness and color in every shot
Advanced operating features put more professional results within reach.
Diverse professional recording
Professional functions open up new shooting capabilities.
Incomparable AF performance
An extraordinarily accurate AF system with 273 phase-detection auto-focus points can tenaciously lock onto and track fast subjects such as moving trains, and unpredictable ones such as nimble animals anywhere within the frame. With its powerful high-speed BIONZ X image processing engine and advanced new movie AF algorithm, the FDR-AX700 achieves focus with speed, precision, and flexibility unprecedented in the Handycam lineup.
Wide AF coverage
With up to 273 phase-detection AF points densely covering approx. 84% of the image area, the stacked Exmor RS CMOS sensor allows precise subject tracking throughout the shooting frame.
Fast AF response
The Fast Hybrid AF system with the BIONZ X imaging engine efficiently processes data from the wide-area phase-detection AF sensor for high-speed focus on even fast-moving subjects.
Reliable subject tracking
A combination of high-speed data readout and processing performance, plus a new AF algorithm designed especially for movie recording ensures precise, reliable, and rapid subject tracking.
AF Tracking Depth Range
Choose one of five AF Tracking Depth Range settings from “1” [NARROW] to track slow-moving subjects without switching to subjects nearby to “5” [WIDE] for tracking fast-moving subjects.  WIDE  NARROW
AF Subject Switching Sensitivity
Five levels of AF Subject Switching Sensitivity range from “1” [LOCKED ON] to stay on a single subject, to “5” [RESPONSIVE] for quickly shifting among subjects as you recompose.  LOCKED ON  RESPONSIVE
Capture the cutting edge of reality
High Dynamic Range (HDR) technology represents a visual revolution, revealing a dramatically wider color and brightness range to match the high-resolution image quality of 4K. The FDR-AX700 makes taking these astonishing HDR images easy with Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) recording—no extra processing is required. Simply connect the camcorder to an HLG-compatible Sony TV via a USB cable to enjoy immediately.
Designed for advanced movie production
Take command of movie production with a wide range of manual controls, ergonomic button and grip design, plus a large zoom seesaw lever for fluid handheld shooting. A high-resolution electronic viewfinder and LCD touch panel make it easy to preview and monitor shots in precise detail. Dual memory card slots are versatile and convenient for extended relay recording or simultaneous backup recording.
High-resolution OLED viewfinder
The 2359k dots high-resolution OLED Tru-Finder electronic viewfinder provides high contrast, accurate color, and excellent visibility even in bright sunlight.
Extra Fine LCD
The 3.5-type Extra Fine LCD touch panel (1555k dots) offers clear, vivid images and lets you select an autofocus point by tapping the screen.
More functional, enhanced menu
Adapted from Sony professional camcorders, the menu system offers faster access to advanced controls and a live settings preview.
Versatile, professional-style functions
A wide range of gamma and color space customization includes S-log2 and S-log3 profiles that professionals use for creative flexibility in post-production workflows. Also, with variable frame-rate recording at up to 960(NTSC)/1000(PAL) fps, you can see extraordinary detail in playback of slow-motion movies.
S-log2 and S-log3 gamma curves allow far wider ranges of brightness and color to be captured, enhancing post-processing potential. LUTs (Look Up Tables) are also available for free. Video Level (%)  Relative Stops from 18% Grey [A] 18% Grey [B] 90% White [C] 1300% of 90% White
You can use pre-configured and customizable picture profiles to save time and trouble when adjusting color, detail, and gamma to quickly achieve a particular look or production requirement.
This handy tool indicates areas of correct- and over-exposure with an adjustable zebra stripe pattern, even when you’re shooting with S-log gamma.
Express your vision beyond realtime motion
The Super Slow Motion and Slow & Quick Motion let you record within a vast range of speeds, from the most fleeting action at up to 40x super slow motion, to up to 60x quick motion videos shot at as little as 1fps.
Capture life just as you see it in true-to-life 4K HDR (HLG) images. The unrivaled performance of Fast Hybrid AF ensures that autofocus and AF tracking are exceptionally precise, responsive and reliable. You’ll enjoy more opportunities to take fantastic shots of fleeting action, and there are no limits to how far this Handycam can take your shooting ambitions.
- 4K HDR (HLG) recording
- 29.0 mm wide-angle ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* lens
- Up to 273-point phase-detection AF
- Versatile manual settings
- Up to 960(NTSC)/1000(PAL)fps super slow motion
- SENSOR TYPE 1.0-type (13.2 mm x 8.8 mm) stacked Exmor RS CMOS sensor
- IMAGE PROCE SSOR BIONZ X image processor
- LENS TYPE ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T*
- Zoom OPTICAL ZOOM 12x,CLEAR IMAGE ZOOM 4K: 18x, HD: 24x,DIGITAL ZOOM 192×3
- VIEWFINDER TYPE 1.0 cm (0.39 type) OLED/Color 2,359,296 dots equivalent
- SCREEN TYPE 8.8 cm(3.5 type) Xtra Fine LCD™ display (1,555K) Wide (16:9)
- IMAGE STABILIZATION TYPE Optical SteadyShot image stabilization w/ Active mode (Wide to Tele)
- FOCUS TYPE Fast Hybrid AF (phase-detection AF/contrast-detection AF)
- Shutter Speed AUTO CONTROL RANGE [NTSC] 1/8-1/10000 [PAL] 1/6-1/10000,STANDARD [NTSC] 1/60-1/10000 [PAL] 1/50-1/10000,MANUAL IRIS CONTROL (PHOTO MODE) [NTSC] 1/60-1/10000 [PAL] 1/50-1/10000,MANUAL SHUTTER [NTSC] 1/8-1/10000 [PAL] 1/6-1/10000
- White Balance WHITE BALANCE MODES Auto/Onepush A/Onepush B/Outdoor/Indoor/WB Temp,WHITE BALANCE SHIFT Yes(Outdoor -7 to +7 15 steps)
- RECORDING FORMAT (VIDEO) AVCHD format ver. 2.0 compatible: MPEG4-AVC/H.264, XAVC S format: MPEG4-AVC/H264, XAVC S Proxy: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
- Audio MICROPHONE Built-in Stereo Microphone,AUDIO RECORDING FORMAT Dolby Digital 2ch Stereo, Dolby Digital Stereo Creator7, MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch8, MPEG-4 Linear PCM 2ch (48 kHz/16 bit), MIC LEVEL CONTROL Yes (31 steps),SPEAKER Monaural Speaker
- Wireless Function WI-FI Yes (Wi-Fi Compatible, IEEE 802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz band)),NFC Yes (NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible)
- ACCESSORY SHOE Yes (Multi Interface Shoe)
- HDMI TERMINAL Yes (HDMI)li>
- BATTERY TYPE InfoLITHIUM with AccuPower Meter System (V Series)
- POWER CONSUMPTION (LCD) 4K:5.1W
- POWER CONSUMPTION (VIEWFINDER) 4K:4.8W
- POWER REQUIREMENTS 7.4V (battery pack), 8.4V (AC Adaptor)
- CHARGE ON CAMCORDER (CHARGING TIME WITH SUPPLIED BATTERY) Yes(Approx. 2h 50min)